Friday, July 24, 2009

And the No. 1 football team in Nottingham is.....

.....well, strictly speaking it's Nottingham Forest. Playing in the Championship alongside some great footballing teams such as Cardiff City, :-D , as opposed to Notts County, who pretty much only stayed in the football league last year due to several teams going into administration.

Some people may be wondering why I bring this up and start this post with such a statement.  Well Notts County Football Club have recently been bought by investors who are going to be putting a lot of money into the club and have this week employed the former England Manager Sven Goran-Eriksson as Director of Football.  Since this was confirmed on Wednesday there has been constant talk from County fans of getting into the Premiership and quashing those poor losers from across the Trent once and for all.  They have decided that they don't need the money from Nottingham Rugby Club, who were sharing their ground last season (and bringing in nearly as many fans as the football team) and seem to have forgotten that they nearly went bust a season or two ago and received a lot of donations from the people of Nottingham irrelevant of their sporting allegiances.

This is all lining up to be the most embarrassing story in football history.  Falls from grace are nothing new (just look at Leeds United, Southampton and even Nottingham Forest to a certain extent) but tripping over at the bottom of the pile before you've even got to the height where you can even fall from grace is going to be painful to watch.

What makes this even worse is that nationally it is seen as a huge joke.  Sven is a comical figure, renowned for his off field antics and lack of success on the field, and the city of Nottingham is being made a laughing stock in the press ("Svens first job is to find local talent-that shouldn't be too hard!" paraphrased from the BBC website).  Hooters on London Road has never had such great coverage.  If they fail in their bid for success then......I hope Nottingham Tourist board have some good ideas to improve the image!

Don't get me wrong, I really hope that County do well for the sake of the City, and I think that they have started going about it the right way.  But if this constant arrogance (for want of a better word) continues from the fans that I see on a daily basis  without any justification, I think I will be stood on the south side of the Trent laughing my head off when the wheels of the Sven-express fall off.

PS. I'm not a bitter Forest fan or a true 'Pie, so I can be seen as neutral in this debate wanting nothing more than success for the city that I live in.  Feel free to comment and tell your friends!!

PPS.  My wife is a County fan so I hope they do well to keep her happy!!!

2 comments:

  1. Perfectly scribed. Well done 'people's poet'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first comment!!!!!! No doubt it's one of the idiots...er I mean lovely...people that I work with, but nether the less a comment!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete