Friday, April 2, 2010

Coach Crash in Scotland

Not sure if any of you are aware but there was a tragic accident in Scotland on Thursday 1st April 2010. A coach with a load of teenage kids skidded off the road in Scotland on their way to Alton Towers. One of the teenagers was killed and many more were critically injured. There is no punchline to this.
I was just annoyed by the reaction. I want to state, right now, that I am aware of the enormity of something like this impacting people. However to start turning round and blaming the school for allowing this trip to take place because of the weather conditions is just wrong. The only person who can make this argument is the parent who refused to let their child onto the bus. I imagine that if the school had cancelled the trip then all the parents would have complained about it and saying that they then had to look after their children and that there wouldn't have been any problems.
If you don't feel safe about something then don't do it. If you are responsible for someone and don't feel safe about something going ahead involving them, then don't let them do it.
I hope to God that this tragic lesson causes all parents to take responsibility in situations like this. I know that I would not have stopped my children going on that trip. I now know that in future, even if it upsets my children, I have to take a stand.
My condolenses to the family who lost a daughter.
My praises to the family who didn't allow their child on the bus.
Sharif

No comments:

Post a Comment