Friday, April 23, 2010

St George's Day

Some of you may be aware that it is St George's Day today, 23rd April. St. George is the patron saint of England. And Georgia. And Catalonia. And Ethiopia. And Greece. And Lithuania......and several other countries and cities.
Now the reason I'm writing about this is because I'm Welsh. The patron saint of my country is St David. Every year for as long as I can remember I have celebrated St David's Day on 1st March. While at school this normally involved some form of eisteddfod and art/cultural type competition thing. I'm sure it's a bit more boozey now back home on 1st March but we do still seem to respect the fact that St David was a scholar and teacher.
So it seemed apt/ironic that, while walking through Nottingham City Centre on the way home today, there were dozens and dozens of people dressed up as St George as a knight all getting drunk. Or just pissed up and wearing the cross of St George wrapped round them (most of the flags with a alcoholic drink logo on it). You see St George was effectively a soldier for the Christian faith who went round killing pagans and converting people. I'm not criticising him for this but it annoys me that if you ask any one of these people getting drunk who he was they'll come out with something about him killing a dragon! This of course refers to the legend of George and the Dragon. But these people have no idea about what it means or what else he did. And what's worse they have no intention of ever learning! Now I'm not saying that all the Welsh are St David experts but at least we've been celebrating it since children (well most of us).
These people think that wearing a flag and getting drunk on St George's Day means that you're a true Englishmen and patriotic through and through.
I'm going to stop now because I can feel my anger rising with regard to these louts who pretty much embarass true Englishmen and bring a bad name to the country that I live in.

Anyway, click the links and educate yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment