Monday, August 24, 2009

EXTREME sports

Clues in the title.  There's a reason they are called this.  It's the reason that most of us won't even try some of them.

The reason I bring this up is because of a tragic death that occured about 16 months ago in New Zealand of an English girl doing some sort of body boarding down a white water river.  She got stuck under a boulder and died.  I only heard about this on the radio today as the mother was on because the New Zealand courts have found that the company who organised this event were in breach of 2 Health and Safety protocols.  Turns out (according to the mother) that the company cannot be done for anything like Corporate manslaughter and they will probably get a fine, a "slap on their wrists".

What I am about to say is in no way meant to belittle the girls life.  It annoys me that I've only heard about it because the media have got hold of the fact that they are being done for health and safety violations only.   It's awful that someones adventure abroad ended their life.

But she didn't have to get on a flimsy board without a life jacket and jump into a river full of rocks, boulders and fast rushing water.  You can't blame others because they offer you something (which you pay for) and don't give you the right equipment or don't have the knowledge.  If someone offered me the opportunity to do anything around water and didn't offer me a floatation device of some sort I wouldn't go anywhere near it.  It would be like being offered a go in a racing car round a race circuit and the people in charge not offering you a race suit, helmet and seat belt.  You just wouldn't trust what they were offering.

It isn't just this instance.  We all feel the need to blame others when something bad happens to us.  Who's fault is it?  Will they pay for it?  I want justice!  It's not my fault.  

Sorry if this touches a nerve. Not that anyone will read this but I had to get it off my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment